Sunday, April 16, 2017

Real Talk: Beauty Is Power

I love what Christine Jacob said once in CNN’s “Real Talk.” She told her mommy-viewers, “You have to take care of yourself from Day One because no one’s going to do that for you.” Since hearing this, I have been retelling the same thing to mommies I know, who I notice are no longer paying attention on how they look.

More than the purpose of keeping your man smitten on you, the benefit of taking care of oneself is to have power from the inside. Moms are often too busy taking care of others’ needs that they neglect to take care of their own. One day they’d wake up, they would look closely at their reflection on the mirror and would ask themselves, where did their youth go? Well, it went to housekeeping and other modern day mommy duties.

When Nanay Mareng was still alive, she told me over one breakfast that even if ladies are already married, they should make an effort to keep themselves lovely. Perhaps she noticed that I have ceased being conscious about how I appear.  I didn’t contradict her remark although deep in my heart I wanted to ask, “Why do old women have to tolerate and even encourage a sexist culture?” Sadly, I also used to naively grip on the “you’ve got to love me for what I am” motto. Her ‘wisdom’ made sense after I faced some ‘inconvenient’ situations.

Looking back, after I gave birth to my son, my young family became my utmost priority. I stopped buying clothes, bags, and shoes for myself. I skipped facials and salon visits. Instead, I spent the little money I have to expose my son to various social interactions and experiences – play pens, Jollibee kiddie activities, trick or treat events, etc. I wanted him to be competitive. While me, I have neglected myself even if I have an image to “protect” being a former local beauty queen. My fashion sense became dull.

TODAY, my hair is dyed. I watch my diet. I now wear the clothes that I deem okay (for I no longer needed the approval of this fashion guru who ruined my sense of style). I know how to apply make-up. I exercise. I am loving myself more. And it feels good.

I DOLL UP NOT BECAUSE I wanted to seek attention from the opposite sex.

I consciously make an effort to look good and feel good because whenever I feel beautiful, I gain positive outlook in life and everything appears brighter to me. The positive energy from within me radiates and it simultaneously passes good vibes to the people I encounter. The happy experiences I earn, in effect, make me feel more empowered.

Trust me, beauty is power.

Mommies, do you pay yourself a “me-time?” If no, you better start now. This is a healthy and a practical advice. (Wink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment