Saturday, November 3, 2018

Five Reasons Why You Should Blog

For some, blogging is just hobby. For others, they do it to make money. Whatever your reason is for blogging, at the end of the day, blogging can be transformative. Every word posted can significantly create an impact not only to the reader, but also to the writer.

Here are the reasons why I love blogging (even if I do it on and off):

1.       “Writing is therapeutic.”
I heard this first from my friend, Ken Jamandre, who is now a successful college lecturer at UP Diliman. I have personally experienced how this is so true, at the time when my ex-husband and I separated (which was actually the initial reason why I created this blog account). At that time, I thought that I had to actively notice the beautiful things around me so that I could quit from being sad. I tried to search for little sources of joy so that I could blog about it and project that I am “happy.” Fast forward, I have moved on and I am ready to utilize this blog site to share more useful information; but this time, the approach would be different.  


2.       Blogging contests are enthralling.
As a mother who is always on the lookout for pleasant opportunities to share with my children, I have turned into blogging, specifically in Nuffnang, to join fun contests often made available. So far, the best experiences Nuffnang had given me are the Colgate-minion contest where I had the chance to bring my son to a movie date at EDSA Shangri-la; and the Mommy-bloggers workshop held at Richmond Hotel. Indeed, blogging can be your ticket to exciting things in life, most especially the free ones!

3.       “Portfolio is life.”
When I first attempted to apply for a writer position in a local government, I didn’t have a professional writing portfolio to submit, but my blogsite link. The stuff written there were entries that would pass for a personal diary. Little did I know that it would be my actual passport to my career path of being a writer. When I first joined Viral Media Source, it was also my blog site link which I have submitted to showcase my writing style to my head hunter.

4.       You have to take care of your skills.
BPO industry life and first-time motherhood combo has been my number one cause of stress during my mid-20s. I told myself then that I can’t be a call center agent forever so I reverted back to what I love doing which was writing. I kept on blogging making sure that the little talent I have for writing remains there. Nearly a decade after, I am a freelance writer with repeat clients for academic and political campaign writings.

5.       Leaving a mark is priceless.
I had a blog before where I kept my anonymity as I wrote about my hardships in life vis-à-vis rationalizing how my unpleasant experiences must be viewed with optimism. In a particular entry entitled, “There Can’t Be Two Queens in One Household,” I described the Filipino culture of living with extended families under one roof.  I wrote about how I consciously suppressed my voice due to fear of being misconstrued as a “rude” new member in the family. That blog entry elicited me an overwhelming feedback, describing my post as an eye-opener. 

You and I may have alike or opposite reasons for blogging. That’s cool. At the end of the day, what is the fun truth here is that a blog site is a useful TOOL that can serve your diverse needs to be in a business and to express ideas. Use it well because the online world is where most of us thrive now.

No comments:

Post a Comment