Thursday, November 8, 2018

The 12 Qualities of a Thriving Artist



Last semester was my first attempt to teach the course, “Reading Visual Arts.” It was a challenging assignment because I am no art major and I have been most comfortable in teaching oral communication and business communication for the past few years. I only have my Humanities 2 subject way back in college as my humble background, a course where I learned some art studies basics.

Upon finding out that I will handle the said course, I rushed to the PLV library in Maysan to look for reference materials for my syllabus. Fortunately, my friend Michael King Urieta was the library’s featured Book Icon that month, which meant that a good number of his books are lent there for a month (King is my go-to person whenever I need books for the subjects I teach. He even gave me a useful book in Philippine Literature which is among my prized possessions as a teacher).

King’s collection did not fail me. I got at least four interesting art books where I was able to extract useful information for inclusion to my syllabus. While browsing through the readings, I was able to stumble upon an article on “The Myth of the Starving Artist,” which debunked the notion that there is no money in art. The article emphasized that artist will not starve is he or she knows how to thrive. 

Here’s the Myth of the Starving Artist (text not mine):

1.       The starving artist believes you must be born an artist.
The thriving artist knows you must become one.

2.       The starving artist strives to be original.
The thriving artist steals from his influences.

3.       The starving artist believes he has enough talent.
The thriving artist apprentices under a master.

4.       The starving artist is stubborn about everything.
The thriving artist is stubborn about the right things.

5.       The starving artist wants to be noticed.
The thriving artist cultivates patrons.

6.       The starving artist believes he can be creative anywhere.
The thriving artist goes where creative work is already happening.

7.       The starving artist always works alone.
The thriving artist collaborates with others.

8.       The starving artist does his work in private.
The thriving artist practices in public.

9.       The starving artist works for free.
The thriving artist always works for something.

10.   The starving artist sells out too soon.
The thriving artist owns his work.

11.   The starving artist masters one craft.
The thriving artist masters many.

12.   The starving artist despises the need for money.
The thriving artist makes money to make art.


What these pointers made me realize is that, artist or not, one should know how to "sell" himself or herself to potential clients. This  entails people skills and of course, intelligent grit to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment