Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Single Moms Are Super Moms

What I like about my job being a writer for the government is that I get to have a glimpse of other people’s lives.

Yesterday, I interviewed a pretty single mom for my article to be published on our local magazine. I was able to talk with her mother first and I noticed that despite their economic hardship, their Filipino values of hospitality and respect were still conscientiously observed in their humble abode. Upon seeing my interviewee’s kids, the grandma urged the two little girls to come to me to pay the traditional “pagmamano” as a sign of courtesy.

I was moved by their very accommodating and transparent nature. Since I also sensed that my interviewee could be my potential informant for my academic paper, I invited them over to the People’s Park. I was contemplating of giving them a simple treat at Jollibee.

I maximized the opportunity that I had with them. I urged them to visit the social welfare office, which had been consistently providing them with financial assistance, and fortunately, she was able to stumble upon the good news that the single mom is recently accepted for the Cash-For-Work program. It’s a program wherein an indigent person will be given the chance for a 10-day employment and after rendering service, he or she will receive more or less Php 3,500. My lady-interviewee will be assigned to help in the repacking of Christmas baskets for the holidays.

She was also given food assistance during the time of our visit.

After the visit and photo opportunity we staged at the social welfare office, we proceeded to the park for a photo shoot. I can see from the faces of her daughters that they had fun playing at the park for a little while. Before sending them home, we ate at Jollibee.

It was a pleasant sight to witness the excitement of the children when they requested for french fries and chicken joy. (I suddenly missed my son.)

During our conversation, I realized again one bright side about being a single mom: it’s better to go solo that be with someone who will just always stress you out. And by the way, single moms tend to become more beautiful because they get to have more “me-time.”


Hoorah to all the single mothers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment