Sunday, December 25, 2016

Matchy-matchy Fashion in a Budget

When I was still in college, I used to enjoy budget shopping every Christmas and yet I was able to buy gifts for all the people who are close to my heart – my immediate family. With just 500 pesos, I already have something to wrap for all of them.

I also reckon one time when I was able to buy one set of Christmas outfit with the same amount of budget at the then existing Ever Gotesco in Caloocan City. My bargain wardrobe consisted of one off shoulder blouse for 100 pesos, one maong pants for round about 250 to 280 pesos, and brown, kinda heavy, wooden sandals at 100 pesos also. I was then accompanied by my cousin, Kuya Chrisvert. (That time, I was earning a little extra for selling Avon products to my classmates.)

Now that I’m a mom of two, I am happy to experience being my old self when shopping – a budget shopper who pays in cash and not through credit cards. I used my Christmas bonus to buy matchy-matchy outfits for myself and my kids: white top, blue maong shorts, and white sneakers. (I was doing mental Math while I was putting the clothes in the cart, haha!)

After the Christmas Mass
Thank God, my kids are good looking. They can pull off the plain clothes they wear. (Sorry to brag. I'm the mom. You understand, right? Hehe.)

For some reason, I am always mesmerized to see people wearing the same outfit whether they’re partners or parent-and-child. My latest inspiration were the photos of foreign parents with their “mini-me” children in their fabulous and similar get-ups which I just saw on Facebook a few months back.

Perhaps, I have adopted this particular inclination for uniform outfits from my mama.

My Mom & Her Grandkids

I remember when my sisters and I were little, she would often shop clothes of the same design for the three of us.

There was also one time when I joined an elocution contest in kinder, my mother hired a dress maker to create doll dresses for me and my sister Lavinia. Both of us were in red. Mine was bloody red, hers was polka dotted red.

While relaxing at my sister's place a few days ago, we were also happily reminiscing our childhood in Bicol. We were having a good laugh at how mama used to buy Kerokeroppi shirts and shorts for my siblings and my cousins for Christmas. On our way to the church, all of us cousins (eight kids) were like on a parade because we were wearing alike outfits. It was real fun! And I think we were getting public attention. Perhaps the people were thinking that mama and papa didn’t practice family planning because my cousins could really be misconstrued as our siblings too. Haha!

Until now, mama and papa still often wear their classic white tees and maong pants when attending church masses together. They ain’t flashy when it comes to style but as their child, I find them cute and sweet as I look at them from a distance. Isn't it nice to see couples who wear similar shirts outdoors?

During Vladimir’s 5th party, I have also demonstrated my love for matching outfits. On his minion-themed, his dad and I wore yellow shirts and maong pants.

Vladimir's 5th Birthday (2014)

I wish for more matchy-matchy days with my children for it always brings a lovely feeling to the old soul in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment