Thursday, May 26, 2016

Moved

When you do something drastic, it’s like making a new chapter of your life official. In my case, getting a new apartment symbolizes my commitment to become more mindful and active in raising my children well.

I garnered a handful of remarks about my decision. Some were positive, some were not.

My Son Says

My favourite remark was Vladimir’s. He said, “Mommy, thanks for my new home. I’m excited with my new life.” Maybe he said this because this is the first time in his seven years of existence that he experienced having a decent territory.

From birth to age five, we lived under the roof of his grandparents. At age six, we moved to our internet shop – our abode was the second floor while our business hub is at the ground floor. My son used to tell me, “This is not a house, this is a shop,” with tears in his eyes.

I have observed that for two days now, he’s quite proud that he lives in a true house with complete parts just like what is taught in school – bedroom, dining area, living room, restroom, etc. I even heard my son tell his playmates to behave well because they’re inside ‘his’ house.

My Mama Says

Before she was supportive, she was quite pessimistic of my decision because she knows that I’m having a hard time juggling my finances. After explaining to her how I badly need peace of mind, she eventually gave in.

Moving entails a lot of benefits on my end, I told her. (1) My cousins are near, so even if I haven’t found a nanny yet, I could leave my children to my unmarried or childless cousins while I’m at work. (2) I could also isolate my household from my business; which means I could condition my mind how to act appropriately and effectively in two different spaces. (3) My son will be delighted to have a new place he could call ‘home’. (4) The house is nearer my office. (5) I could jump into another business. (6) My son and I will have a more conducive space for studying.

My Sissy Says

My sister was happy of my decision. She told me that my move will allow me to experience independence better. She also said that it’s high time for me to invest on new appliance and furniture that my family needs.    

A Random Lady Says

In my desperation to hire a nanny for my baby, I spoke with a random slipper vendor one time and our conversation brought us to ‘home ownership.’ The vendor mentioned that she dreams of acquiring a house for her family. The argumentative monster in me was not able to tie her tongue and remarked that yours truly is not a believer of house acquisition. I read in a magazine before that it’s okay to simply rent because it allows you to bring your family to the city or locality where you are employed. This way, you save money from maintaining two households, and at the same time, you live WITH people who matter to you.

Hamichu Reacts

My youngest child is only one year old and she doesn’t talk yet. She lived at the shop, there were times she slept at her dad’s place, she slept at my mom’s house, and she also resided at her aunt-godmother’s apartment. When we transferred to our new house, my daughter’s gaze at the ceiling moved from left to right. Maybe she was thinking, “Where am I again?”She was uneasy only on the first day. After her adjustment period, she was already playing and running around the place. Her favourite part is the stairs where she often practices her climbing skills.


It is my children’s reaction that gives me the validation that I made the right choice. This is it, I took the leap and I must keep going. My commitment to go places has now begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment