Thursday, September 8, 2016

Independent Kid

I read in an article a couple of months back that there are young kids in other countries in the west who are trained to become independent at an early age. They can go to the park alone and they can wander in their village without an adult accompanying them. For some Filipino parents, they would find this scenario disturbing and unacceptable, especially for those who are overprotective. Not me. I find the story amusing and eye-opening.

This year is my son’s second time to go on field trip without being accompanied by an adult. They toured Dream Play. I just exchanged mobile numbers with his teacher, gave my son some important reminders (and of course allowance courtesy of the dad), and prayed for their safe trip – after all these basic “rituals,” I went on with my forever busy-mode routine and he was fine!

I was very thankful to his teacher because she updated me from time to about what my son was eating, what were the stuff he wanted to spend on, where they were in a specific time, and what time were they arriving. She even assured me that she’ll take photos of my son and upload it on Facebook. Now, we’re Facebook friends and textmates!

Here are some of their photos during the trip:


Photo courtesy of Teacher Susan

Photo courtesy of Teacher Susan

Photo courtesy of Teacher Susan

Photo courtesy of Teacher Susan

Every time I gaze at my son’s pictures, I always acquire this overflowing sense of gratitude that I was blessed with a smart kid who is also handsome and brave. Unlike other parents who had to undergo the ordeal of appeasing their wailing first-time schoolers who didn’t want to be left in school, I was sweat-free with Vladimir. Perhaps my inclination to expose him to various socialization activities when he was still little honed him to become confident and friendly with other kids.

At this point, I am contemplating of bringing Hillary also in various play places so she could learn to mingle with other children. Unlike Vladimir my eldest, my younger daughter is a little anti-social, although she’s an ultimate attention getter because of her lovely dimples.

Hillary, “Operation Exposure” is on for you soon! Love, Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment