Wednesday, January 4, 2017

48th Family Reunion

Since I was a kid, our family stages New Year’s Party every 31st of December. It’s simply a night of kiddie party with lots of games and prizes that usually ends through a joint media noche at the compound and some fireworks display by the men in our clan.  

This 2016, I volunteered to organize the party because I am the one who has the free time (although not the money, hehe).

Out of curiosity, I asked around for a little history about our annual party. I learned that it was first organized by Tita Glo Baria, the sister-in-law of my Aunt Zeny, and they first held it at a building rooftop currently owned by a family friend. They called the party “For the Young Ones” and they used to sell tickets to pool funds for the merry-making.

This year, for our 48th reunion/New Year’s party, I thought of reviving the “ticket selling” part to generate funds for the party, instead of the usual “solicitation” per family.  Since I would like to express my support to our budding baker in the family, I opted to introduce a simple cake raffle. Instead of compulsory contribution, I sold tickets to my cousins and siblings. Our aunts and uncles were exempted because most of them are grannies already. But of course, those who were willing to share additional funds were heartily welcomed.  

Almost everybody extended help in making the party possible. One of my cousins lent her disco ball which made the party look better. Mama shouldered the rent for the tables, chairs, and the videoke (since it’s also her birthday on January 1). Some also helped in the physical set up of the party place. Others helped in the preparation of materials for the parlor games. Most importantly, some have been very generous in giving out funds.

During the party, on the invocation part, I asked the children to write their prayer on a piece of paper. I made them form a circle and asked them to read their wish for the clan for 2017. The best wish I heard was from my niece who wished for unity. Then one by one, the children placed their prayer in a clay pot. I asked my father to bless the children’s prayers, as I burned the pieces of paper as a ceremonial invocation.

We had games not only for children but also for couples. In between series of games, we conducted our cake raffle. On the side, our male relatives were drinking wine while watching the kids enjoy. We also had our photo opportunity session.

Perfect Score of 100 for the Videoke Challenge

The Young Once: Fulgencio Brood

Kiddie Game: Blind Folded Trip to Jerusalem

My only decent pic with my more beautiful sister

Food Sharing

Our party culminated with flowing food from all the households at the family compound. The celebration may not be perfect, but surely it was a blast! 


No comments:

Post a Comment