Monday, June 20, 2016

Happy Father’s Day To Me


Last Father’s Day, I was anxious on how should I be spending the day extra special. As single mother who personally know a handful of Pinoys who had been irresponsible to their respective families, I wondered if there are still men who should be righteously called as ‘fathers’ as opposed to those who should merely be regarded as ‘sperm donors.’

The thought popped in my head one Saturday I was teaching technical writing at a certain college. For the ‘outlining exercise’ I required my students to write about the ‘father’s day.’ I saw some faces smirk which I pretended to ignore. A few minutes after, questions on the English translation for certain Tagalog words hit the airwaves– for abandonment, betting game addicts, drunkards, hot tempered, irresponsible, and many more. Inside my head, I was screaming, “What’s happening?”

Father’s Day is there, supposedly, for the children to honor their dads at least once every year. But instead of excitement, majority of my students seemed to be apathetic to the capitalists’ strong reinforcement of the bandwagon.

I also noticed that there were posts on social media honoring single moms on father’s day because they also play paternal role in the absence of their partners. I, too, received greetings from my close friends ‘saluting’ me for my current state. Their greetings made me feel empowered and proud.

I capped the day by joining my sister in treating her hubby in a restaurant. It was a long and tiring, but amusing day for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment