Thursday, October 20, 2016

Allow Me To Humblebrag

“Humblebrag.” I saw this word few months ago from a friend-writer’s tweet. So this is the appropriate term for some of the netizens’ habit of posting expensive earthly possessions on social media, captioning it with “feeling blessed.” Hmmm.

Indeed, I’m a little irked every time I see a Facebook friend boast about something ostentatious, most especially if I happen to know the person as a certified attention seeker. I just opt to view the humblebrag as something positive because perhaps, the person posting the “stuff” is simply sharing his happiness. After all, isn’t it that we should be glad for others' joy? Especially if they achieved something without stepping on somebody else’s foot.

I hope I am not humblebragging that I’m sharing here what causes me profound happiness at present. This has something to do with my great pride of being able to help a student make her education expense a little more bearable by hiring her as one of my temporary internet shop aides.

Here’s the letter I recently received:



Since I handled our small internet shop in Malinta, it has always been my mission to hire working students. I want to be of help to diligent students in finishing their studies by providing them access to unlimited computer and internet use, while also granting few allowance based on their service rendered.

More than any colorful and neatly done certificate of appreciation that I have ever received, this letter is far more valuable for me. It was sincerely written and it validated my sense of hope, that despite the many wrong decisions I made in my life, I’m still able to do something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment