Sunday, October 30, 2016

My 33rd Birthday: Hitting My Reset Button

I don’t understand why a lot of people give a fuzz when asked about their age especially if theirs is already past the 31 calendar days. I’m unsure if I’m actually inclined towards that mentality as well; somehow, I feel like having nearly little time too to catch up on my ideal what-should-have-could-have-would-have-might-have-beens.

My 33rd birthday feels like a rebirth. Before the 29th day of this month, my mom asked me for my birthday plans. Of course, with my load of responsibilities at this point, I have nada. I told her that I’d rather use my remaining penny for my bills because I don’t have extra. She just nodded. Although I suppose, if she has extra too, she would be willing to cooperate on the preparation. But there’s nothing really to prepare.

I spent my birthday in Quezon City. It was an ordinary day that was quite productive and meaningful.

I arrived at SM North lunch time and I opted to try eating at a new burger place. (I saw there Ditse Cynthia’s family, who were just from an athletic bonding activity, and a workmate from PESO, whom I chit-chatted a bit.) The burger place in Annex started to piss me off because their food serving time was extremely long! Even if they gave free nachos and the manager has excellent PR skills, I would always think twice before eating there again. LESSON LEARNED: NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IF YOU’VE BEEN FAULTY AT ONE POINT, YOU’D HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING BACK SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN DISAPPOINTED.

Second stop was BDO. The line was super long as always. Good thing I remember I’m pregnant. I was able to skip the line and was serviced faster at the special lane for senior citizens, PWDs, and pregnant women. Although of course, it was also queuing there, at least I was still able to get my transaction done faster. LESSON LEARNED: DON’T BE DISHEARTENED RIGHT AWAY. USE YOUR MIND TO SEEK OPPORTUNITIES THAT RIGHTFULLY BELONG TO YOU.

Third stop – MassComm library – and it’s closed. My main purpose for going to UP was to return the two books I borrowed there. At first I couldn’t believe what I was just reading on the bulletin board. But what can I do? Nothing. I thought of going home right away. I also decided to check another library. I did the latter. On my way to the CAL libe, I looked around for symbolic icons that would be nice to post on Instagram. I saw the Chicken Feet which I have totally ignored all my college life in UP. There I got the symbol three and three! LESSON LEARNED: EVEN IF YOU HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING, IF IT’S NOT FOR YOU, IT AIN’T FOR YOU. LOOK AROUND. THERE MAY BE GIFTS FROM THE PAST THAT CAN COMPLETE YOUR PRESENT. BUT THEN AGAIN, YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE A KEEN EYE.

The Chicken Feet

My fourth stop: The Main Library. After finding out that MassComm libe was closed, I went next to the CAL library, which was also closed. I was already getting annoyed. I told myself, “Great. So this is my 33rd birthday – nonsense.” Again I started to think of going home but something inside me kept on saying, don’t give up just yet. So I went to the main library. It was open! Yes! My efforts are not wasted! On top of these, just when I thought that it closes at 4:00 pm, it’s actually 5:00pm! I got an hour extra. Even if I was unable to revisit the archives, at least I was able to re-experience how it is to spend my time in my favourite library in the world. LESSON LEARNED: NO MATTER HOW BAD THE SITUATION MAY SEEM, IT WILL CHANGE. DON’T GIVE UP EASILY. 

Study Time at the Main Library


Trinoma, last stop of the day. I phoned my mom to check if she’s attending the prayer meeting. Affirmed. She told me to join her at the anticipated mass. I declined because Sundays are sacred to me. (It’s my solo-parent-nuclear family’s Lord’s Day and family day. Vladimir is always expecting that after attending the mass, we should be elsewhere to spend quality time together with his sister Hami.) I told her that I will stroll at the mall a bit and let her know if I’m already on my way home.
I went to Landmark first to buy some beauty items. Then I proceeded to the National Bookstore. I checked for some art materials for my scrap book but most of the things I see are also available at my mom’s school supplies store. I wanted to buy colourful pens but I still have aplenty. Finally, I bought myself a nice birthday present, an inspirational book written by Marc V. Lopez – Hit Your Life’s Reset Button: You Can Start Again Today.

While eating pansit at the food court, I started reading the book. I felt like the book was talking directly to me. Its strong birthday message to me was, NO MATTER HOW WASTED YOU THINK YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN, YOU CAN PRESS YOUR LIFE’S RESET BUTTON ANYTIME BECAUSE THE LORD HAD SAYETH, ‘YOU AREPRECIOUS IN MY EYES AND GLORIOUS!

My gift for myself wasn’t just the book I bought and the girly stuff I purchased. I also spent time with my kiddos the following day at home. Hami is already getting more active! And Vladimir is also forming a tighter bond with my brother, his Uncle Gerson. Every time my son is at my place, he would be playing Wii Yu with his uncle and they would talk as if they’re buddies.


I capped my me-day watching Disney’s Hercules cartoon. It’s a love story. The film made me realize that EVEN IF ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS MAY SEEM TO BE NOT MY CUP OF TEA, I SHOULD JUST BE THANKFUL OF THE BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS THAT HAPPENED AND ENDED, AND AT PRESENT, ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLEST. THIS IS HAPPINESS AT 33!

No comments:

Post a Comment