Thursday, February 25, 2016

A Day in a Life of a Stage Mother

Before preparing myself to work this morning, I checked my Facebook to relax a bit. I know that I’m going to have a busy day ahead so I needed an early breather.

My son’s first Battle Of The Brains experience popped onto my Facebook’s memory timeline and for that, my entry today is about a day in a life of a backstage mama.

The Timeline Photo of Battle of the Brains 2015
Last week, I filed for a vacation leave at work to accompany my son to Our Lady of Lourdes College in Barangay Gen. T. de Leon, the host school for this year’s “battle.” My little boy was an alternate-contestant, and his team bagged 7th place out of over 40 plus participants. Not bad.


It was a pleasant break away from my daily grind at the office because through this school activity, I was able to chit chat with my child’s teachers. I was also able to compare parenting notes with Gary, father of one of his classmates. I noticed that the grandmother of their Top 1 classmate was rather strict and competitive, so I avoided talking with her. I might not be able to contain her arrogance for I am equally airhead too. Haha!

The best part of the day was seeing my high school close friend there, France. She also accompanied my godson Levi, who’s also up for the contest.

We had the entire day for catching up! I mentioned to her that we’re already full blown adults for both of our issues have skyrocketed into a higher level. No more highschoolish problems. Both of us are facing more serious matters at hand. We agreed to see each other again soon at the Pokemon birthday bash of our common friend’s seventh birthday.

We parted ways when the Battle for grade one started. While she waited at the astrodome’s gates, I roamed around to take pictures of the venue.

Registration Area

Anxious stage parents are waiting outside the contest area

Our Lady of Lourdes College - Battle of the Brains 2016 host school
The following day, which was a Friday, Vladimir felt lazy to go to school. He asked me to text his teacher if he could have his rest day that day. I asked him what was there for him to rest about since he was only an alternate. He said he got tired of walking and playing. I weighed his request and texted his trainer. I thought, Fridays anyway are just play days for them. Upon his teacher’s reply that it’s okay for Vladimir to take a rest, my son yelled in triumph. Oh dear, he already knows to find excuses not to go to school. For some reason, I can’t get mad at my son. I’m rather proud actually that he’s showing signs of being practical.

Last night, I asked my son his preferred lunch. He reminded me, mom, we have no classes tomorrow. Right. The reminder was on his assignment notebook. He’s quite quick when it comes to holidays and class suspensions.

Hey son, sometimes I’m clueless with what I am supposed to do with you. Still I love you to the moon and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment