Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Kung Hei Fat Choi

The Chinese New Year celebration is fast approaching and I’m thinking of getting myself immersed better in their culture this year.

As an avid fanatic of horoscopes and fortune telling, I’m quite intrigued of what’s in store for me this year. If the stars will say that I’ll have good luck, I’ll cling to that prediction. But if it’s otherwise, I’ll opt to believe in positive karma – a Hindu belief. Hahaha! I think it is part of human nature to always want things that are favourable to oneself. This is my idiosyncrasy.

In the past few years, the Chinese culture permeated my monotonous life without me anticipating it big time. I found myself befriending people of Chinese descent which made me more fascinated with their culture.

I am most pleased with one of our most esteemed department heads, the very down to earth Arch. Edison Ching Padilla. Together with her cute little daughter in Chinese traditional costume, they roamed around the city hall one Chinese New Year to give palatable goodies.





My dear friend, the beautiful Ms. Clariz Tanganco, also shared lots of interesting stories about Chinese culture and tradition. She’s always ready to strike a pose every time we need a model for our projects. At first, it was difficult for me to pronounce her surname. She explained to me that her last name is actually a combination of three Chinese surnames – Tan, Gan, and Co – hence, Tanganco.


In-house Model


Last Year of the Horse, our family also dined at Heritage hotel where the kids had several selfies at the lobby.




My personal favourite among all these nostalgic moments is the first cosplay experience of my son. (Cosplay is not Chinese-inspired. It’s Japanese. But since the school activity coincided with the Chinese New Year celebration, I just inserted it here. No pun intended on the sad history between the two territories.) His school staged a cosplay competition at SM Valenzuela, where Vladimir represented my favourite anime character, Kenshin Himura. After the show I took a photo of him in front of a Chinese icon.






To all my dear Chinese friends and my blog visitors, KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!

No comments:

Post a Comment