Thursday, February 11, 2016

Hurrah For V-Day!

My kind of V-Day is not Valentine's Day. It's Vladimir's Day.

When I was in college, I told some friends that in the future, I just want to have children and I don’t want to have a husband. Reason being is having internalized too well the studies I took about domestic violence and gender bias that are still rampant in most corners of our society. Looking back, I realized that what I wished for is finally here. I have cute kids and I am single.



What’s paradoxical about my situation is that my son’s birthday fell on Valentine’s Day, February 14, which means that I don’t have to feel envious of sweet couples around because I’ll be busy of making his birthday helluva fun and momentous.

Last night, my son handed me a wrinkled valentine’s card. He was crying because he thought the paper-cut heart is not presentable enough to me for it was crumpled in his school bag. Nonetheless, he gathered his innocent courage to show it to me.



As a mother, I was really touched by the gesture because the message reads, “Dear mommy thanks for taking care of me and teaching me. I love you - Love Vladimir.” I appeased him by saying that the artwork was nice and it’s the thought that counts. I’m even planning to display his artwork somewhere in the house.

We plan to go out of town this weekend to celebrate his seventh birthday. I’ll do my best to make it a fun-filled birthday for him, worthier perhaps of the commercialized representation of couples’ day.

************************* 

By the way, did you know that there are four types of love? In one of my students’ reports in our Philippine Literature class, this issue was tackled. 

Source: http://www.twl4parents.com/the-four-loves/


As was shared in the class, according to Clive Staples Lewis, a British novelist and Christian apologist, the four types of love are (1) "Storge" or empathy bond, (2) "Philia" or friend bond, (3) "Eros" or erotic bond, and (4) "Agape" or unconditional 'God' love.

What’s your kind of love on the 14th?

Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment